Memorial Day officially kicks off summertime! Bust out the sunscreen, bathing suits and grills as fun in the sun has finally arrived! People of all ages, shapes and sizes will be headed out to picnic on the lawn, BBQ and have their first pool party of the year with their family and friends.
With all these events comes lots of fun food and beverages. And with outdoor parties every weekend, some people may indulge more than they should. While a little indulgence is fine, and recommended, the key is to balance your sweet treats and drinks with other nutrient-rich healthy swaps. No one wants a party-goer who can’t enjoy a cookie or hotdog every now and then, so learn to surround your treats with “healthy friends”.
When planning your summer picnics or BBQs, try some of these nutrient-rich swaps to pair with some of your sweet treats:
- Swap a fresh fruit salad instead of a higher fat, creamy pasta salad
- Try whole-wheat crackers or pita chips versus potato chips
- Choose a protein-rich dip like hummus or one made with Greek yogurt instead of higher calorie, creamy dips
- Substitute whole-wheat/oat buns for white buns or even try lettuce wrap burgers
- Balance your protein options with lean beef, chicken sausage links and turkey burgers
Summer is a great time of year to relax, hangout and invite a few “healthy friends” to your party. Remember all foods fit – enjoy your favorites while balancing them with fruits, veggies and whole grains!