Valentine’s Day is here! With this sweet holiday comes lots of extra added sugars and calories, but not to worry, you can indulge and enjoy without going overboard. A few smart choices and you won’t feel guilty the next day. So, indulge this Valentine’s Day guilt free with these 5 tips.
- Fondue the healthier way! It’s that time of year to break out your fondue set. Instead of cooking your fancy dinner in oil, switch it out for a broth and save some calories. Add fresh herbs in your broth for extra flavor. It will look fancy too! If you are going to splurge on a chocolate fondue, choose fruit to dip with instead of cakes and other sugary treats. Nothing pairs better with chocolate than juicy strawberries.
- Activity date! Instead of gorging yourself in food this year for the main event, try doing something more engaging and fun! Go roller blading, bowling, ice skating, or take a cooking class. You can still have that romantic date, but put those extra Valentine’s Day calories to good work.
- Buy your significant other something besides candy! Try to be thoughtful and buy them their favorite nutritious snack or cook their favorite meal. Think of something that would really make them smile. Or even consider shopping for a healthy dinner and preparing a meal together.
- Going on a fancy date somewhere!? Don’t be afraid to share your meals! Portion sizes can be outrageous at some restaurants. They are high calorie and expensive. Don’t be afraid to share your spaghetti like Lady and the Tramp. Sharing meals saves you room, so you don’t feel as guilty for eating that Valentine’s Day dessert.
- Wine down! In moderation, wine is great for your health. Studies have shown that wine may help prevent you from developing certain types of cancers, live longer, have a healthier heart and more. Don’t go overboard because wine does contain calories and sugars. Try sticking with one or two 5 oz glasses.