June is a big month for food and health. June is the start of summer, bringing in loads of fresh summer fruits and vegetables, as well as celebrating dairy all month long! There has been a lot of mixed opinions out there about dairy and whether or not it is a part of a healthy diet. According to the USDA’s MyPlate guidelines, dairy should have a place on your plate at every meal, whether its with a glass of low-fat milk, a serving of yogurt or my ultimate favorite, cheese!!! Dairy is one of the most versatile and flexible food groups there is, try some of my favorite ways to have dairy with your meals!
My 5 favorite Dairy Dishes You Have to Try This Month
- Greek Yogurt – Whether you’re using it for a delicious tzatziki sauce or piling it high with fruit and granola, the benefits of Greek yogurt are hard to deny! With its delicious tangy flavor, low fat profile, and high protein content, Greek yogurt is a great choice for any meal as your dairy choice. And if you suffer from lactose intolerance, great news, Greek and Icelandic yogurts are lower in lactose and provide the live and active cultures to help you digest it.
- Frozen yogurt – As simple as it sounds, frozen yogurt is a slightly more tart version of this dairy dessert, similar to ice cream in that they are both a churned dessert. A fro-yo shop is never too far in any large city and are often a great place for a delicious, fresh sweet treat that you can pile high with fresh fruit to add more flavor and texture. Try swapping your dessert ice cream for some low-fat frozen yogurt and fruit for a fun new creamy treat.
- Mozzarella – Shredded, balled, or a straight string, mozzarella is the perfect snack for anyone on the go looking for a great mild cheese. Mozzarella pairs well with just about anything, pack a snack with some carrot sticks, part-skim mozzarella string cheese, and some nuts for a great protein-carb combo snack sure to make anyone full and satisfied with this great snack! Mozzarella can also pair great with sliced tomato, fresh basil, and a drizzle of balsamic for a wonderful summer fresh Caprese salad.
- Whey protein – While this may not be your first thought when thinking about dairy products, but whey protein is an excellent dairy product! Whey is a protein found in milk and is found during cheese production in the liquid portion of milk when the fat and proteins are separated. You can typically find whey protein powders at any health food stores, or even online and can be used in dozens of wheys (HA). Utilizing whey powders in smoothies, snack bites, even baked goods, you can increase your protein intake which can help you build muscles and stay full all while tasting delicious.
- Ice Cream – The best for last right?! Ice cream is likely one of the most popular forms of dairy! With all of the flavors and mixed in goodies, there is bound to be a flavor for everyone. I fully believe that there is an ice cream treat for everyone, whether you are going low-calorie, protein-packed, or the full-blown treat! If you’re going for a healthier choice, check out some of the lower-calorie ice creams, known for being low calorie but full of flavor and protein, or try having a smaller portion as your treat. There is no need to skip out on the good stuff but there are ways to enjoy this treat and maintain a healthy diet.