March is upon us and that means March Madness, warm weather coming (hopefully), and St. Patrick’s Day! While we all love dressing up in green for this Friday’s festivities, don’t forget to add green to your plate as well! There are endless ways you can include greens into your day that are delicious and nutritious. Whether you like spinach, zucchini, or avocados, there is something for everyone to enjoy. You can eat your traditional corned beef and cabbage this weekend, but if that isn’t your thing, not to worry, there are plenty of other options to go green for St. Patrick’s Day and the whole spring season. Below are some easy and fun ways to add green to your day this Friday and beyond!
- Add mint, spinach, and some cacao nibs into your smoothie and make a bright green “mint chip smoothie” that everyone will love (including your kiddos).
- Mash up some avocado and make guacamole to pair with whole grain pita chips and veggies. Or simply use your avocado as a spread for your sandwich or wrap.
- Pop some frozen edamame in the microwave for a delicious, high-protein snack that screams green!
- Elevate your classic morning egg scramble by adding in some sautéed spinach or broccoli.
- Add zucchini or peas to your pasta, or better yet, make your pasta with zoodles!
- Make kale chips: Simply toss the kale in olive oil with salt and pepper, and roast in the oven until crispy. These will be a household favorite and the perfect green twist for chips!
- Slice up some celery and spread your favorite nut butter on it. You can even take it a step further and put some raisins on top to make some ants on a log, an old school favorite!
- Use leftover herbs like basil and make a pesto to use for a sandwich or pasta dish.
As you can see, the possibilities are endless to add more greens to your plate this St. Patrick’s Day and all spring long. So, make sure and wear your green this Friday so you don’t get pinched, but be sure to put some green on your plate as well!
Thanks to dietetic student Samantha Pregel for her help on this article!