It’s almost summer, which means any night can be movie night! Movies are always a great option for dedicated family time or a cozy night in. But what’s movie night without ice cream, candy or popcorn to munch on? Although many movie snacks may lack nutrients, it doesn’t mean getting rid of your favorite snacks altogether!
Try creating your own snacks for movie night! It can be a fun, interactive and a more nutritious option. Here are a few snack ideas that will satisfy all your sweet and salty cravings:
- Pop fresh popcorn (Yep, the old fashion way, on the stove!) – Drizzle with olive oil or garnish with seasoning! I add garlic powder and a sprinkle of cumin for a kick!
- Build a snack board – Load your board with cheese, fruit, veggies, whole grain crackers or pretzels and hummus! For salty cravings, try dipping celery sticks or pretzels in your favorite nut butter! To satisfy your sweet cravings, cut up strawberries, apples and bananas to dip in Greek yogurt or melted chocolate.
- Create your own trail mix – Mix your favorite nuts with dried fruit or raisins and whole grain cereal! For a pop of sweet, you can add a sprinkle of M&Ms or chocolate chips too!
- Create a yogurt parfait bar – For the base, use your favorite Greek yogurt and add toppings! Delicious, nutritious topping choices include dried or fresh fruit, nuts, seeds, chocolate chips, granola or a drizzle of nut butter.
- Make your own real fruit slushie or smoothie – Blend frozen fruit with your choice of milk for a delicious creamy smoothie or make your own slushie! Just blend frozen fruit with water!